G. Linwood Barney died October 29, 2003, at Shell Point Retirement
Community, in Fort Myers, Fla. He was 79.
Lin was born in 1923 in Rumney, N.H.
He received a bachelorís degree from Taylor University, was a graduate of the
Missionary Training Institute (now Nyack College, Nyack, N.Y.) and received
masterís and doctorate degrees in anthropology from the University of
In 1946 Lin married Elsie, whom he met
while at Taylor. After spending a year at Nyack, two summers at the Summer
Institute of Linguistics and two years at the Union Church (Palisade, N.J.),
Lin and Elsie went to Laos as missionaries to the Hmong people. During this
time, Lin worked on reducing the Hmong language to written form. Other
missionaries helped with the project, and today the Hmong have the Word of
In 1954, Lin taught missions at St. Paul Bible
Institute (now Crown College, St. Bonifacius, Minn.). In 1960, along with Dr.
Jack Shepherd, Lin established the Jaffray School of Missions in Nyack, N.Y.
He remained in Nyack for 28 years as the school went through various
transitions, and became Alliance Theological Seminary (ATS). Lin was dean of
faculty at the Seminary when he retired in 1988 and moved to Florida.
is survived by his wife; two daughters, Linda and Karen; three granddaughters
and five great-grandchildren.
A memorial service
was held November 15 at The Village Church at Shell Point Retirement
Community. Rev. Kenneth P. Nesselroade, Rev. Scott M. Bartholomew and Dr.
James A. Davey assisted in the service. A second service was held December 5
in the chapel at ATS. Dr. R. Bryan Widbin officiated. The burial was at Oak
Hill Cemetery in Nyack.
|Dr. G. Linwood Barney
Memorial Service - December 5|
December 2, 2003
The life of Dr. G. Linwood Barney,
co-founder and Dean Emeritus of Alliance Theological Seminary will be
honored on Friday, December 5 at 3:30 p.m. in the ATS Chapel on the
Upper Nyack campus. All who knew or worked with Dr. Barney are encouraged
Theological Seminary, formerly known as the Jaffrey School of Missions was
founded in 1960 by Dr. Barney and Jack Shepherd, a
missionary to West China and the Philippines. In
1974 it was renamed the Alliance School of Theology and Missions. When the
Master of Divinity program was added in 1979, Alliance School of Theology
and Missions became Alliance Theological
addition to being a Professor of Anthropology for 25 years and fulfilling
his life-long passion of training missionaries, Dr. Barneyís contributions
to ATS seem endless. His invaluable
service to the seminary includes thirteen years as Dean of
Students, nine years as Dean of Faculty, and eight years as
Director of Studies. Dr. Barney has long been esteemed a statesman of
Christ's church in our nation and abroad.
Mrs. Elsie Barney and the family request
that memorial contributions be made to the G. Linwood Barney
Scholarship Fund at ATS in lieu of flowers.